Friday, December 20, 2019


Divine Intervention
Have you ever heard a small voice inside tell you that you needed to do something? Whether it was to call someone on the telephone, stop by for a visit, or send a text or a card. I know that there were many such incidents in the past, too insignificant to remember. It’s almost like the pay-it-forward movement. The past month or so instead of reclaiming the quarter from the return grocery cart, I pass the cart along to the next person. It gives me an especially warm feeling when it’s an older person who looks like they count every penny and that person gives a big smile and says, “Thank you.”
Life is made up of many such moments that make someone’s day a little bit better. A smile and saying Merry Christmas to employees of the bank or grocery store may make their day just a bit smoother or a ray of sunshine in a bad day. I made a resolution many years ago that if I was grumpy, I wouldn’t leave my house; no one wants to deal with a grumpy old man. I sometimes share that resolution with people at the checkout counter. It’s surprising the smiles and responses I get when I share it. I feel amazed when they tell me they just had a rude customer that caused them grief.
This entire prelude was to share something that occurred Thursday as I returned home from shopping. I saw our Pastor emeritus standing behind his vehicle in his driveway. His eyesight has been failing lately and has become a definite problem for him and his wife. She has to carry more of the burden and she was sick last Sunday. That little voice began to tickle my ears, “Stop and see how they are doing.” I almost ignored it and turned to go home when the voice got a little louder, “See if they’re okay.”
I pulled into the driveway and asked how his wife was doing. He told me that the doors were frozen shut on his car and needed to get them open. His face was reddened from the cold. I was worried about his health. Getting out of my car, I used the heel of my hand to loosen the ice on one door. I pulled it open. The other door was coated more thickly and I couldn’t loosen the ice the same way. I said, “Let me get inside and push while you pull” It was a success. It was then he shared they needed to go to the hospital to have blood work for his wife. Thank you for prodding me into action God.

No comments:

Post a Comment