Wednesday, May 8, 2019


On the Right Side
Over the years, most of my injuries have occurred on the right side of my body. One summer while on vacation from school, I sprained my right ankle three times. My mom said she was almost crazy thinking of things to keep me busy.
My next injury occurred as we were lowering my brother-in-law and sister’s mobile home. I was underneath tossing up blocks for the beams to rest on when one of the jacks sank into the soft earth, the trailer slid sideways and dropped about eight inches before it settled onto the block I’d just set in place. The weight of the trailer folded me double like a taco without filling. I crawled out. Moving my arm I noticed had limited movement. I knew it wasn’t broken, but my shoulder had been dislocated and spontaneously relocated. I drove myself to the hospital for x-rays drove because my wife Cindy was too upset and almost backed down a ditch.
While working, I had two trip and fall injuries. Both times my right shoulder caught the worst of the fall. Physical therapy alleviated much of the pain.
It was necessary for me to have carpal tunnel surgery on my right wrist. Pain, a declining grip, and the numbness were increasing. About the same time, my right pinky finger began to change. I believe it started when I tried to catch softball that caused an injury. It progressed into a degenerative deformity. I shouldn’t be surprised; my grandmother Rebecca Miner had rheumatoid arthritis.
I’ve had frequent flair ups of pain in my right knee because of the arthritis. It’s progressed slowly so I’ve not needed knee surgery, but there are days when my right sided sciatica teams up with the knee pain to make sitting or standing too long vary miserable.
Somewhere along the line, I developed a minor right rotator cuff tear. It’s caused some limited range of motion, but hasn’t been severe enough for surgery.
My latest injury happened because I’m frugal, although my kids say I’m cheap. My septic tank had become full and I decided to dig to the tank’s opening. I ended up digging two holes because I’d misjudged its location by about three feet. At sometime while uncovering the lid for the honey dipper to gain access, or while I replaced the soil after he’d finished, I separated my right bicep tendon from its anchoring bone on my shoulder. I have pain and it’s limited my mobility, but my PCP said I may have more problems after surgery than I have now. She wants to delay the surgery until more problems turn up.

No comments:

Post a Comment