Friday, May 17, 2019


Hey Norm
When a certain television character entered Cheers, all the regular patrons would call out, “Norm” as a friendly greeting. My friend, Pastor Norman Johnston was a similar guy. His friendly disposition and down to earth qualities made him special to those he met. He was a missionary to South Korea for many years before he pastored our church for several years. He even adopted a Korean orphan and made her part of his loving family. Our birthdays were close and we would go out for lunch and search for used books of interest.
I told him I’d found a phrase in a book that I’d read. It was a greeting in Korean and I asked about the pronunciation. “Ahn yong he ka ship shee-o.” (I can’t remember the exact spelling, but I’m sharing how it is pronounced.) It’s really the only Korean phrase I know. It’s a fit conversation starter when I have met strangers who were Korean. One such episode was when I was working at Frick Hospital in Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania. I was helping in the busy emergency Department after several people were brought in because of an auto accident. Two were students and as I brought one of them back from x-ray, I asked where he was from. I uttered the phrase when I found they were from Korea. He chuckled and I believe it caused him to be more relaxed.
There were a few other incidents, but the most recent was Wednesday. I stopped on my way to the Chestnut ridge Historical Society at Subway sandwich shop in Donegal. There were five oriental gentlemen there. Two were sitting at a table waiting for the others to get their food. I smiled at them, then asked where they were from. One smiled back and said, “We are from South Korea.”
I nodded slightly and said, “Ahn yong he ka ship shee-o.” he grinned and said something softly. With the background noise in the shop I couldn’t understand and said “Excuse me. I couldn’t hear you.”
I leaned closer and the gentleman said, “You’re pronunciation is perfect.” I was surprised, but pleased. I shared with them my association with Pastor Norm. I gave each of them one of my business cards. My only regret was that I didn’t have any Gospel tracts to share with them. If they read this, perhaps when they get home they might find some folk who knew Pastor Norm.
Norman Johnston died almost a year ago. I hope by sharing this story it will cause some of his friends to think, “Hey Norm.”

No comments:

Post a Comment