Friday, March 23, 2018


Ice and Snow: Snow and Ice
Another round of freezing rain, ice pelleted sleet, and snow have once again delayed the arrival of spring. Geese have returned. Robins have flown back to lay claims for nesting and feeding areas. I even saw a few killdeer which have decided it is time to select a perfect spot to raise their brood. Jonquils, daffodils, and the blooms of crocus have been struggling to rise above the layers of ice, snow, and cold to announce that spring is here.
So far the warm, sunny weather has just been a tease. It has whetted our appetite for more, then we are slapped with the hard, cold reality that winter has not released Pennsylvania and the entire eastern coast from its bitter grip.
This latest storm quickly put down a layer of sleet on Tuesday. The roads were cold enough not to melt it and within 45 minutes, the road was covered. I made a run to Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania for a few groceries and when I returned home, I almost slid past my driveway. Only by twisting my steering wheel and the tires biting into the gravel could I maneuver into my drive. I was glad to be home. The meeting for the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society was cancelled. I was a little disappointed, wondering what the members would think of the rearranged meeting room.
A two inch coating of thick wet snow followed hiding the slippery ice below, then came a short lull. Although the weathermen predicted more was to come, the brief interlude sparked a tiny flicker of hope that it was over. Not so, before the road crews could get out and remove the ice, snow began to fall in earnest. It moved in from the north east, pushing the snow into the higher ridges where I make my home. Probably, there was 6 inches of the white stuff. The only good thing was the temperature dropped and the snow was much fluffier.
In communities nearby, I heard reports of 10 inches or more. This later dump of snow must have thrilled the ski resorts of Seven Springs and Hidden Valley, because those warm teasing days surely caused them concern.
Yesterday, I ventured out again, prying layers of ice and snow from my car. It was a daunting task, made worse by the wind whipping the snow back in my face and trying to frostbite my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment