Monday, January 1, 2018


Razor’s Edge
As a corpsman in the United States Navy and early in my career as a nurse, prepping a patient for surgery often required the shaving of the incision site and a wide swath of hair surrounding it. The instrument we used was a straight razor with a disposable blade, much like those used by barbers today. I used one in my profession, but not in my daily life shaving my face.
I remember my grandfather Ray Miner using a double-bladed safety razor. New blades came in a prepackaged flat case and each blade could be pushed out and dropped into an open chamber at the top of the gold colored razor. The open jaws would close with the twisting of the bottom of the handle. Granddad had a stropping machine that would resharpen a worn blade to be used over and over again. The machine was about the size and shape of a fishing reel. After securing the blade, leather covered cylinders would rub against the edge of the blade by turning a crank handle.
My father, Carl Beck had a single bladed razor. It was a much lighter razor having only a metal head, imbedded in a thick ribbed plastic handle. The new blades for it came in a rectangular box with an aluminum arm. The arm was inserted into a slot on the razor and the blade was pushed out and into the razor’s head. As the new blade was inserted, the old blade was pushed out by its replacement.
What I remember most about my dad’s shaving routine was the way he made soapy foam to facilitate the daily removal of his facial whiskers and stubble. He had a brush and mug. The mug was the collection receptacle for our family’s soap bars that became too small for practical use. Adding a bit of water, he would insert the brush into the mug and after a few brisk whisks of the hairs rubbing against the soap bars, he would pull it out and apply the frothy result to his face. Once is face was covered, he would set the mug and brush on the sink, then expertly guide the razor across his face and neck removing the beard with the soap.
Today, we’re sold very expensive electric razors, costly multi-bladed razors, or the inexpensive disposable razors. Recently, I’ve seen a re-emergence of the double-bladed razors like my grandfather used. I wonder what memories tomorrow will bring

No comments:

Post a Comment