Friday, January 5, 2018


Corncobs
I can remember a movie where two “city slicker” actors called country folk corncobs. There were cartoons with the character Popeye having a corncob clenched in his teeth. There are memories of old people saying they kept a supply of dried corncobs in their privies for sanitation purposes. But my oldest recollection is a faint one and was augmented by stories from my mom, Sybil Beck would share. One of my great aunts was as backwoods of a woman as Daniel Boone was an explorer and statesman. My great aunt was a short lady that smoked a corncob pipe. It wasn’t very lady like, but it wasn’t unusual for country women of that time to rub snuff or to smoke.
Another group of happy memories is of our family’s annual visits to the Sweet Corn Festival in Millersport, Ohio. My parents would stay at my aunt Ina and my uncle “Nicky” Nicholson for a week in the summer when the ears of corn were yellow, full, and ripe. The festival was almost like a county fair with amusement rides, entertainment groups, game booths, and of course lots of good food. One of the community organizations had a large steam engine type thing at their booth that cooked hundreds of the bright colored cobs of juicy corn. The ears of sweet corn were pulled out on trays, lifted with tongs, buttered, and served in narrow red and white cardboard boats. Hot and butter flavored, they quickly disappeared leaving only sweet flavorful memories and butter smeared face, lips, and chins.
When my mom served corn on the cob, we had plastic holders that looked like small corn ears with two metal prongs. When they were plunged into each end of the cob, it secured the ears, and allowed us to eat the delicious kernels without burning our fingers. My dad, Carl Beck would eat the kernels circling around the cob, while Mom at them like a typewriter, going end to end.
After I married Cindy Morrison, summer get-togethers often had sweet corn served at family meals. Her dad, Bud would hang a large kettle of water over a wood fire. Once the water boiled, he would fill a pillowcase with ears of corn to cook. With one swift move, he would lift the top of the pillowcase out, let it cool, and remove the cooked corn. All of the corn was available to enhance the meal.
With the cold winds and snow swirling outside today, I makes memories especially warm and welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment