Monday, April 29, 2024

 Keeping It Under One Hundred
I’m not talking about speeding in my car or my weight, but I am talking about my blood sugars. Neither of my parents had diabetes and yet I have the disease. I was always a chubby kid and wore husky jeans. I won’t say I was lazy, but didn’t exert myself too rigorously. I preferred to read and follow less strenuous activities. A gym session was not my favorite high school class.
Now that winter is over, I have decided to oncce again continue my daily walks. I do enjoy walking and taking photos, especially now that the weather iis warmer and the trees are losing their bareness. The leaves are unfurling and the blossoms are covering them with colorful blossoms.
I’ve shared I am taking an expperimental medication to help control my diabetes. I’ve had the disease for probably thirty years or more. The blood sugars back then were “controlled” by taking oral medications. Eventually it became necessary for me to start injections of insulin. Not a large dose, but I still didn’t relish the idea of stabbing myself with a needle. However, my family doctor finaly convinced me that it was necessary.
My old family doctor Dr. Balcita wanted my blood sugar below one hundred, but anytime it approached tat number, I felt dizzy, weak, and nauseated. He still pressed me to get my blood sugar below one hundred and I would tell him “No way.” I felt that I couldn’t tolerate a blood sugar that low.
New drugs came on the market and I was referred to an endocrinologist who put me on the injectable drug Ozempic. I couldn’t tolerate it even though it started to lower my blood sugar. With the Ozempic, I had continuous bouts of nausea alternating with severe periods of heartburn. I even went back to half strength. I stopped it when I tried to explain my problem to his staff. All they would say was that the doctor wanted me to take it.
I found an ad asking for volunteers for a new medication created by Lilly Pharmasuticals. I applied and after many rounds of sharing my history, testing, and paper work I was accepted. Since I began taking the medication my daily blood sugars have been much better, Most days I am under one hundred with my fasting morning bllod sugar AND without any hypoglycemic sumptoms. That was something I thought would never happen.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're finally getting the results you deserve. Informative and key to advancing the narrative on this condition that affects so many.

    ReplyDelete