Sunday, March 1, 2020


Fun Day at Wally World
It’s always fun when I shop at Walmart. I love to talk with the cashiers that I’ve grown to know over the years while shopping there. Sometimes I ask about their family or I inquire about what kind of day they’re having. I always wish them to “have a good day” or if it’s Friday wish them to have a good weekend. If they say that they’re working the weekend, I commiserate with them and wish them the best anyway. What more can you say when they have to work.
While I shop, it depends on how energized I am as to whether I sometimes tease other shoppers. I almost always come close to colliding my shopping cart with another customer who is trying to maneuver through the aisles as they search for a product that has been moved or that is no longer in stock. The blind corners that Walmart has created by their narrow aisles and having products stacked like the towers at the end of each passage are reason for the near collisions. After apologies, I maneuver myself past the other cart driver and continue my quest. In variably, I forget something that I had written on the grocery list that still rests on my desk at home causing me to traipse back to an area I’ve already gone through.
I live alone with Willow my cat. She doesn’t carry on a sensible conversation with me, so while I am out I often begin to talk with total strangers. I’ve scared more than one old lady by talking to them as I walk past and they are reaching for a product. I’ve caused a few people to be startled, but no cardiac arrests as of yet. Most of the times I merely introduce myself as a writer and pass out one of my business cards to these complete strangers. If I don’t advertise, I won’t gain any new readers.
This past week it was just a bit different. The people to whom I give a card, I only have contact with them for a very brief time, a few minutes at most and I don’t recognize them if we meet again. I was in the checkout line and began to talk with a gentleman in front of me and I offered him a card. He shared that I’d met him before at another occasion in line and I’d given him a card. He still accepted the card and said that he was a police officer wanting to read the books of Tommy Two Shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment