Monday, May 21, 2018


Maybe Now
Saturday I spent 4 hours at the Chestnut Ridge Historical Society. Many of the projects are over, but there are quite a few left to tackle. Right now, I’ve been assigned to filing the obituaries into a scrapbook type of storage. I’ve been doing that for 2 days, but Saturday, as I was filing some of the accumulated listings, I opened the book, looking for places to store them. As I did, I saw my dad’s picture and his obituary. It wasn’t what I needed to see with the death of my friend so near. My attention was drawn to the opposite page. There were the obituaries for my cousin, uncle, Grandmother, Grandfather, Mother, and my wife Cindy. It was enough and I called it quits for the day.
Another busy weekend is over and my good friend Dr. Norman Lee Johnston has been paid to rest. Hopefully the stress that has been building is behind me and things will slow for a bit. One of my good friends and travelling companions drove to McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania for the interment and committal services. We were both long time friends of Pastor Johnston.
As soon as the church service was over and before Sunday school started, we left from the church on the ninety-one mile drive. The early morning showers were over and the air was fresh and warm. Traffic was moderately light on the turnpike, and we were there with time to spare before the service. Since, neither of us had been to just a graveside ceremony, we were unsure of what to expect. So, we stopped at a grocery store for some snacks until afterwards when we planned to eat at a restaurant before heading home.
Nearly thirty-five people gathered at the cemetery. A brief prayer, an eulogy, and the message were separated by violin hymn renditions from one of Norman’s former students. The weather was breezy, warm and the sky sunny with brief clouds scudding overhead. The cemetery is located not far from his wife Joy’s home place. The graveyard is nestled in a valley, surrounded by tree clad mountains. It was a perfect last resting place for this man of God, family man, and friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment