Wednesday, December 13, 2017


Cold and Windy

No, I’m not talking about myself, but the weather outside. The more I age, the more I dread the frigid temperatures and the gust of winter air. I like to have snow, but when it gets cold and the breeze becomes what my grandfather called a lazy wind, count me out. He said when the wind goes through you and not around you it’s a lazy wind. I want to tell Canadians to keep their refrigerator doors closed when the Arctic clippers decide to sail south.
Don’t suggest that I move to Florida, although some relatives want me to come to Florida and there are some relatives who wouldn’t mind if I left Pennsylvania. I have no plans to make the move below the Mason Dixon Line.
I lived in Orlando, Florida for two years, courtesy of the United States Navy as a corpsman and I didn’t really like it. Mosquitoes, sand spurs, and the humid heat in the summer aren’t on my menu. The only thing I found enjoyable about Florida was the fishing and my relatives. Winters were heavy jacket weather, but no boots unless I was wading in the rain.
My uncle Amos Jacob Stahl and his wife aunt Helen decided to move their family south. He was a stone mason and the seasonal work that the Pennsylvania weather provided could hardly support his large brood. They packed up and moved to Florida where he could work all year round. Their one daughter Anna stayed with us until she finished her senior year in high school.
While I was in the Navy, “Jake” or one of my cousins would want me to visit every weekend that I was off duty. They were all wonderful people. Amos and Helen have passed away, but Florida is still peppered with cousins and kin.
I frequently get invitations from them to come visit and I may. I left Florida the year before Disneyland opened and haven’t been back since. Although the adventure of touring the park is something that entices many, I prefer to keep my memories of the less bustling metropolis of Orlando intact. Perhaps it would be nice to see the faces of my loved ones again. It may become closer to reality and become stronger if these days of the lazy winds persist.

1 comment:

  1. Every year I tell Michael that I will come down in February, maybe this year I will actually do it.

    ReplyDelete