Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Names Have Been Changed to Protect the Innocent (Namely Me)

Names Have Been Changed to Protect the Innocent (Namely Me)
With Halloween coming closer, I thought I would share this brush with this spooky season. It really isn’t a ghost story, but it will have to do.
I may have shared this incident before but I still laugh when I think of it. Because it is in the same vein I will tell it anyway. While I was employed at Frick Hospital in Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania,  I had just taken the body of a deceased person to the morgue. I, placed the cart in the cooler and was finishing the paper work in the log, when I heard voices in the storeroom through a connecting vent high on the wall. It was our maintenance man, Franz and Niecie, one of our female central supply techs. They were retrieving a bariatric bed. Bariatric beds are oversized beds for the larger patients. The bed had always been stored directly beneath the vent in the storage room next door.
I moved across the morgue until I was underneath the vent. I cupped my hands around my mouth and making a funnel I moaned, “W-O-O-O-O-O-O! W-O-O-O-O-O!”
They immediately stopped talking. Then I heard Niecie ask, “Franz, did you hear that?!”
When Franz didn’t answer right away, she persisted, “Did you hear that?”
Franz said “Yes! Yes I did.”
“What was that?” She asked.
I heard Franz shush her.
They were quiet and I could tell they were listening. So I waited. When I heard them start to move the bed in the next room, again I moaned, “W-O-O-O-O-O! W-O-O-O-O-O!”
Niecie said, “Let’s get out of here!” I heard the supply room door pop open and the wheels of the bed rolled out of the room at a high rate of speed.
Later I met Franz in the hallway and told him what I had done. He laughed and said, “I didn’t know what that noise was. I knew the morgue was next door, so I thought at first it could have been a ghost. The second time you moaned, Neicie’s eyes bugged out. She grabbed my arm and almost climbed up onto my shoulders. I think she would have if I would have let her.”
            We never told Neicie and if you read this, I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment