Friday, May 19, 2023

 Tucking Away Another Day
Some people have been curious about what I do. I’ve been a widower for over twenty years; I choose to live alone. Some folk wonder why I don’t look for another significant person in my life. I will say that my wife was a saint and it would be difficult to find another, but then again, I’m not looking. I’ve gotten used to living by myself and I choose not to be a railroad conductor. I have a load of baggage of my own that I carry, and so would an older woman around my age. My kids have already warned me that if I found a young woman, she has to be older than my youngest child.
I have several women who are close friends. They are my best buddies. One gal and I often garden, can, and visit yard sales. Another friend I’ve shared trips and helped her when she needs a backup driver.
I’ve been retired for over ten years and I won’t say I’ve enjoyed every day. But there’s always something that needs done or something I can do. Often it’s little more than cooking and cleaning up after myself or writing my blog. It gives me time to read or write my next book. And I mustn’t forget my time with God: prayers, reading the Bible or writing and occasional poem.
Yesterday I had my morning walk. Returning home, I tossed a beef roast into a crockpot with onion, carrots, celery and potatoes to simmer until my evening meal. As I walked to my mailbox, I remembered I promised to visit her. Kathy Beck Basinger said that she had some recipes from my aunts. I decided to drive to her and take photos of them. She was reluctant to let them out of her hands.
I doffed my around-the-house Tee shirt and PJ bottoms and climbed into my blue jeans and a nicer looking shirt, then drove to her home in Indian Head, Pennsylvania.
Returning, I mowed most of my lawn. The back part stays soggy and I am apt to get it stuck in the swampy area like I did last week. I had to pull it out with a chain attached to my car.
I sat at my computer in the evening and transcribed the “photo” recipes to email them to the lady who is compiling the recipes for the family cookbook that will be unveiled at the Minerd-Minard-Miner-Minor Reunion this year.
Our Pastor called and asked that I draw a picture to promote an upcoming series on “Freedom from Addiction.” I have it finished and ready to share. It was time to say goodnight to another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment