Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Difficult Shoes to Fill

Some random thoughts popped into my head about my father and my grandfathers. I remembered some of their qualities and the trials and struggles that they stoically endured to make a better life for their children. Sometimes I think I have fallen painfully short. They grew up in an era where times were difficult and I believe it tried their mettle and honed them into the men that they were.

My grandfather Raymond Miner was short in stature, quiet, and meek, but a diligent worker. He dug and loaded coal. The mine where he worked night shift was of low seam coal about three feet high. Often in awkward positions with a feeble carbide lamp and hand tools he loosened, then shoveled the bituminous coal into buggies to be hauled to the surface. During the day he cared for his farm to feed and clothe his wife Rebecca Rugg Miner and eight children, Rachel, Violet, Cora, Ina, Dale, Cosey, Theodore, and Sybil. The constant strain on his body and dementia finally claimed his life at the age of eighty.

My other grandfather Edson Thomas Beck held a wide variety of jobs. Farming and working the timber, cutting and hauling felled trees. His home was in a remote area. Doctors and dentists I recall one story he told as a young man were nearly inaccessible. One story he told about a toothache he had from a decayed tooth, that he bent the rattail handle of a file, heated it red hot and burned the nerve. Other positions he held was a justice of the peace and accountant for several large businesses. He was also a lay preacher and started a church near the summit between Jones Mills and Somerset named Mt. Hope.

The memories I have about my father Edson Carl Beck are of another hardworking man. His hands were rough and calloused with a work ethic that shames most people today.  In the many years he worked at Walworth in South Greensburg making valves, he may have missed a week of work. Most of those days were because he was in the hospital after surgery. One of the traits he is most remembered for is his punctuality; quoting him, “If you’re not early, you’re late.” It’s a trait I’ve picked up, arriving almost half an hour early for appointments; much to the dismay of hosts for meals or parties. He was a man of few words, but when he spoke, I listened…for the most part. I can only once remember him saying out loud, “I love you,” but his day to day work ethic to provide for us spoke volumes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment