Monday, September 7, 2020


Doing the Can Can
The small amount of canning that I still do is finished for the year. Because of the generosity of friends of tomatoes and peppers, I canned 20 quarts of salsa. I did them in two batches. Because I cook and can by the seat of my pants, I adjust each recipe by taste. Mrs. Wage’s salsa mix and tomatoes are the starting point of both. I’m now more frugal with my time in cutting up the tomatoes. At one time, washing, removing the “bad” spots, blanching, peeling, and then dicing the tomatoes became such a hassle. Several years ago I thought most people don’t get enough fiber in their diet, so I stopped blanching and peeling the tomatoes. It saved so much time and energy.
I also learned to wear gloves when I wash, seed, and dice the different peppers I add to the mixture. Green bells, Hungarian banana wax, pablano, and jalapeno peppers were carefully diced and stored in separate containers. Diced onions, garlic, a mixture of the selected peppers judiciously added. I always add a bit more vinegar that the salsa mix calls for. It gives a sharper taste. I bought a three pound can of concentrated tomatoes to make the salsa thicker and less runny.
Instead of my usual cooking and reducing the liquid of the mixture in a stock pot on my stove, I used my electric roaster, stirring frequently. As it cooks, I do taste tests adding cilantro and cumin until I find a pleasing flavor. Once the mixture is thickened and tasty, I scoop the salsa into glass quart jars and then give them a hot water bath to can them.
I start with the same basic recipe, but I finesse the flavor to suit me. My cat Willow doesn’t like salsa, but I did share my bounty with the friends who passed along their extra tomatoes and peppers making the preparation of this year’s salsa possible. Thank you Suzie and Carol, you guys are such a blessing and I appreciate your friendship more than I can say.
I don’t make a garden any longer. I stopped several years ago once my family was gone and had two years in a row where mud rose to my ankles as I attempted to pull weeds from the garden. With only me to feed, I now buy things I need when they’re on sale and stock my pantry without the stress of planting and canning. Willow’s food doesn’t count. She doesn’t like most “people food” and is satisfied with dry cat food, often shunning the moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment