Friday, November 29, 2019


We Gather Together Thanksgiving 2019
Another Thanksgiving has come and gone. This year the people gathered at the table were less than usual. It wasn’t because of tragedy or loss but because of conflicting schedules. As our family expands, our members start to pull apart and the places they are expected to visit also grow. My son and his family were in Michigan visiting Renee’s Sister Monica. My brother Ken was at his hunting camp in West Virginia. Darcie could only stay a few minutes and ducked out with her daughter Breanne. Darcie’s two sons were in other states. My daughter Anna and her husband James were expected to celebrate at their home that they share with James’ mother and brothers.
Fewer people, but the spread of food was as large as usual. I made two pies. One pie was my usual offering of pecan pie and the other pie was a new recipe, Reese’s peanut butter and chocolate pie. Both pies turned out quite well, but when I arrived at my Sister Kathy’s home I found that she and her husband Doug made the same chocolate-peanut butter pies as well.
I made baked corn casserole, although it was as good as the corn my mother-in-law, Retha would make. I also roasted turkey breast. Others brought ham, fresh baked bread rolls, green beans, deep fried turkey, dressing balls, mashed potatoes, and lasagna. One thing that was overlooked was gravy. There was none for the mashed potatoes and none for the dressing balls, but we “made do” with what remained.
During the meal we shared family stories. These mealtime conversations were as usual good times for reminiscing and sharing of memories in an oral tradition. It was the way ancestors passed their history along throughout past generations.
One subject that unfortunately reemerged and remained alive was past recollections of passing gas. It was again introduced by one of the family member stepping out of the room to relieve abdominal cramping. A telltale aroma followed on the return to the room. After a prolonged spray of air freshener, the tales of noxious gases emerged. With Ken missing, the tales were more fleeting than the aroma of the air freshener.
Shortly after the meal, our family members went their various ways to other Thanksgiving Day feasts. I’m not sure how others fared, but late into the evening I still felt full. I did rewarm a small bowl of leftover chili, because some of my medications need taken with food or I probably wouldn’t have eaten anything at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment