Friday, July 21, 2017


My Cogs Are Slipping
Because yesterday was another busy day, in my rush, I mistakenly drove to the wrong physician’s office. My appointment was for 1:30 and as usual I arrived early. As I got out of my car and started for the door of the Norwin health center in Irwin, Pennsylvania, I had the feeling something wasn’t right. I stopped and as the physician’s name popped into my head. The location of the office and the doctor’s name didn’t jive. It was now 1:05 p.m. and I was supposed to be in Greensburg for the 1:30 appointment.
I hopped back into my car and hustled back on Route 30. There were several red lights and some slow traffic, but I made it with 10 minutes to spare. I think I will have to plan my routes more carefully to prevent another slipped cog in the old mental machine. I was on time and able to get an injection into my right shoulder. It was feeling more comfortable within the hour and I think it even made my sore back somewhat less severe.
But this entire week has been hectic. I had a writers meeting later last evening at the Mt. Pleasant Public Library. And I must say, the roadway in town is almost like a battlefield with deep trenches, fox holes, and construction “soldiers” lining the streets guiding traffic and making more tank traps.
After the meeting was over many of the writers escaped to McCauley’s through the carnage of the streets. The soldier’s were gone, but the traps remained. On the Diamond, the Doughboy on his tall cylindrical perch was watching over us as we were on R & R and ate our rations.
I have the morning free to wash a load of clothing, then later today, I’ll attend the Southern Allegheny Museum of Art on the outskirts of Ligonier for the Launching of the 2017 The Loyalhanna Review magazine filled with photos and writings of local men and women. Short storied, poetry, and beautiful photographs fill glossy pages. It is always an interesting evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment